You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

a walk through the park

Today I had a very ordinary and simple experience that is my best one since I’ve arrived. It was time for me to go register for classes in the office (10/15 min walk from downtown) so I said goodbye to the girls and headed out. I stopped by the market place and bought a ripe apple, taking it with me on my way along the rows of trees that extend out from the fountain. It was the best tasting apple I’ve had in a long time. As I ate, I just soaked up my surroundings. The sun was shining and people were bustling about without a care in the world. I stopped at a bench in the park just to savor the moment. I watched moms go by with their kids running in circles and speaking in French that was completely incomprehensible. I watched couples walk by hand in hand, and people with all sorts of dogs. A guy passing by shouted out bon appetite and gave me a funny look, which, while it was a little creepy that he might be hitting on me, actually made me laugh out loud and I couldn’t help but smile. Nearby 20 or so people were intensely watching a game of live chess where the pieces are about 2 or 3 feet tall. Then I got up and passed the pond and grass area where groups of students and people with their dogs were lounging on the ground. The air was crisp but not cold, the sun was bright, and everything seemed perfect. The buildings are so beautiful all around and I can’t get over the fact that I’m really living here for the semester. I just ate my apple and enjoyed every moment of my walk. There’s something about being by myself for once that just let me really appreciate this whole place. In that moment I just felt God’s hand both on my stay here and the city itself. The people may not remember God, but God’s beauty and wonder are still alive and well in this place.

No comments: