You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Classes...

So last week I started class. Class here sucks. That’s really all there is to say. The first day it was rainy and cold. I had phonetics, blah. Sounding out the vowels, trying to hear differences in different ones she said, not fun. Then the next day, philo didn’t even meet. But the girl said it was Aristotle they’re studying, so I doubt I’ll keep it. Aristotle in English is one thing, in French it’s a completely different story. I would have liked to study some french philo'rs but oh well...Wednesday I had Civilization du Sud, we learned about prehistoric people in France. So pretty much rocks and cave paintings. That was a blast. But for my oral presentation (30% of my grade but with a group) i signed up for the one next week which means its coming up fast. But we our project is to just take a bus to the city of Lattes and then report back to the class what's so special about it. She gave us a hint and told us to find the museam. I'm kinda pumped that traveling is actually my project. So I like that class a lot so far. Then I had the worse class ever, history of modern art, modern meaning from the Renaissance to the French Revolution. The lady stood reading off some papers in super fast super soft French. A French student even asked her to talk louder and got denied. Thursday was grammar (which I suck at) and the discussion section for art history which I totally zoned out in. Friday was History of France from Renaissance to French Revolution. That was better at least. The prof was very animated and apparently funny (I say apparently b/c the class kept laughing but of course I never understood the jokes).
So that week was sucky, as far as classes go. But it got better because saturday I meet my conversation partner, Vinciane. She’s so adorable. She talked with Ali and I for like 4 hours that afternoon all about France and America and what it’s like here. Next Friday she invited us to her house for dinner. First she’s going to drive us around the area here and then show us the suburb where she lives. Then all her friends are coming over to hang out with us and her mom is making us dinner. I’m sooo excited. I finally get to practice my French in a nonacademic atmosphere. That’s all Ali and I wanted, a real French friend. I bought a book today too, Orgueil et prejuges (Pride and Prejudice but in french...). I’m pretty pumped. The movie is here now. I just finished the modern day version of the book. I pretty much just can’t get enough of that story. I just thought I’d throw that out there…

No comments: