You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Friday, January 13, 2006

some alone time

I still haven’t been in France a week yet but it feels like I’ve been here for much longer already. I’m starting to get into a routine here, and I pretty much know my way around a good part of the city already. It’s amazing how quick you can get oriented to new surroundings. This is the first bit of alone time I’ve had for awhile. I love everyone I’ve met over here, but everything has been so hectic all week. I don’t feel like I’ve had a moment to relax in forever. It’s hard because I think I’m the only person here who likes to have time alone. I think for the most part people are afraid to be by themselves. I think when they’re alone they get homesick, esp the people who are in homestays or in apartments by themselves. I’m glad I do have roommates, but that makes it harder to take time away from everything. It’s really hard to find time to connect with God here. Every time I try to do devotions I get interrupted and there’s no one here I can really fellowship with. I think I’m the only interested in finding a church to go to here. I tried to feel out my roommate to see if she was interested, and she might, but only because I’m going and not because she has any desire to go to a church. I hope she does. I’ve had some conversations with her about a few things, like what her family believes, but it’s hard to figure out where she’s at. I don’t think she’s against there being a God, but I don’t think that’s on her list of things to worry about right now. Pray for her. I really hope I can find a protestant “temple” there to go to. I’ve seen a few catholic churches, but I’m not sure how that’d work out. I don’t exactly know how catholic services work in English so I think I’d be totally lost if it was in French. Pray that I find some place, or someone who knows what I can do. In the mean time, I need to step it up a notch giving time back to God. My weakness at home is staying focused above, and abroad it’s so much harder. I can literally pinpoint exact moments where the enemy has drawn me away from time with God using the most innocent distractions, like being too tired or talking to my roommate. I could even use that distraction for God if I only had the courage to really talk to my roommate about God and what he’s done for me, but it’s harder than I thought it’d be. I shouldn’t care what anyone here thinks, least of all people I’ll only see for 5 months. But it’s hard to get past that feeling of wanting acceptance, esp since everyone here is starting from scratch just like me. But if I don’t show who I live my life for now, then why should they listen to me if I talk about it later?

No comments: