You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Me and God vs. the Bursur's office last week...

(where it says today it was actually last week but I wrote this on Ali's computer when it happened...)
If anyone doubts the power of prayer, don’t. God listens, and God acts. It’s so easy to forget sometimes, especially when everything seems to be going well. It’s also easy to forget when God makes us wait for the answer or doesn’t answer us the way we wanted Him to. But just when you start to forget, He reminds you of his power and his love. Today He did just that for me. When you study abroad, you’re on a fixed income, a budget if you will. It feels like I have no money. Well I have enough to live and travel a bit, but that’s it. Yesterday I received an email for Madison that informed me that I had an addition $1100 left to pay because I’m in an apartment. It was not made clear by any means that this payment was coming up. Needless to say I didn’t have the money. There was no due date, but I know that the due date for Minnesota is in the middle of February, so I figured it was sometime between now and then. But again, between now and then I still won’t have enough. I freaked out. If I have to pay all I have to Madison, I can’t make utilities at the end of the month, I can’t eat, and I definitely can’t travel. I’d have to charge half of it too which means in an emergency I’m out of money on my credit card. This may not seem like a big deal, but it is a huge problem. If you don’t pay, they send you home. If I pay, then that’s it for me. I’m completely out of money. I prayed for a miracle. I just needed Madison to take my scholarships into account now instead of reimbursing me later, or if they let me pay in installments. Neither of which Madison ever does. Generally you pay everything up front, not in payments, and you have to pay for what your scholarships cover and then just wait for a check later.
So I prayed, and so did my mom. For the fist time I prayed for something for myself that I needed right away. I also, for the first time, prayed with a very strong conviction that God would come through. Not that I don't usually think he will, but I always doubt that what I ask for is anywhere near his will. This time I was sure He would come through. Anything would help. I emailed my study abroad office that morning and explained my situation. Literally the same day I heard back. The lady didn’t know what to do so she forwarded my request to someone in the bursar’s office (not my first choice for understanding administrators). That same night I received an answer to my prayers. My first scholarship was being credited to my account and my fee was then reduced to $325. The next step they took was to credit me for my second scholarship which comes in much later, so I pay nothing. And so I don’t get prevented from signing up for classes, they put a special notice on my file that shows that I have no late payments even though they don’t technically have the money for me yet. I was so grateful. God wasted no time on this one. The study abroad office is slow and unorganized. The bursar’s office is not sympathetic. God pulled through anyways. Not only did I not have to pay anything, but they sent wishes that I enjoy my stay here! I couldn’t believe it. Not that I didn’t think God would take care of it all in the end, but I didn’t think so soon! And to take care of the payment completely! It was more than I asked for. It was God smiling down knowing that He is perfectly able to take care of his child. I smiled back. It’s been awhile since God has stepped in so obviously to take care of me. God didn’t even give me the time to worry about it! He just stepped in and took care of everything, like He promised that He always would. Praise God, for He is good, his love endures forever!

No comments: