You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

National Manif!

Well I survived the big manifestation. I've gotten so many "security adviseries" from the State Department that I just delete them now. They told me to avoid all large demonstrations, but when do I ever listen... When you're in a place where history is litterally being made you can't stay home. You just have to go out and watch. So Bhavana and I did just that. At first we couldn't find the manif! We found some contre-greveurs though. They were a bunch of med students who wanted to go back to class (though they still might not support the CPE, they don't think stopping class is helpful...what an idea...). They were boring though, so we went elsewhere in search of the party. We finally found them in the old part of town, and there were tons of people, young and old. Almost every union and organisation in the surrounding area was there. People played drums and one had a trumpette and people sang and yelled and had a jolly ol time. I seriously think this whole strike thing is just an excuse to get off work/school and have a party. It was more like the 4th of July or a football rally than a strike. All public transport and buildings were shut down. People were festive with painted faces, costumes, instruments, banners, etc... I even saw a little boy with a Winnie the Pooh costume with a sign that said "Winnie contre (against) le CPE". We followed them around and accidently became a part of the march...oops. So we follwed them and took pics and then cut out and went downtown to watch the people file into la Comedie. People just kept coming and coming, there was no end. It was a beautiful day for the strike too, clear skies and warm temps. There was no violence, no vandalism (although I doubt Paris was so lucky, they're not as chill as their southern counterparts down here). Rumor has it that our university will be officially closed by the prez, but who knows. Another rumor claims that even if the students win the fight, they're going to keep striking until the semester is over just to prove that they have control, or that their method worked, or something like that. In the meantime, I have some research papers to write...tear. I may never understand the culture of the "greve" (strike) here, but that won't stop it from entertaining me. I guess if I grew up like they did, I'd be just as anxious to strike at everything. That's France for you, I love it. Even with the strikes, this country has grown on me. It may not be home, but it has a special place in my heart.

ps ill have pics up soon of the greve, and Winnie too!

No comments: