You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Friday, March 10, 2006

yet another interesting week

This week, like most others, has been full of surprises. I came back from break to find that the university's strike is still going full force, with no signs of stopping. So I find myself with a lot of time on my hands and bored out of my mind. I never thought I'd want to have class so badly. But at least this week, we found other things to keep us busy. Last weekend was Kate's birthday, so this past tuesday we went out to celebrate at the Australian bar. I invited Elodie to come with us, and we had a blast! At first they only played annoying french techno music, which Elodie loved and showed us all how to dance to it. But later they played some good old American music, and we returned the favor and taught Elodie. I love dancing, and I'm so glad we got to go again. The atmosphere is pretty cool there too, lots of crocodiles everywhere. It was funny b/c I guess Elodie attracks all the guys b/c they just kept coming...Even though she pretended the rings from her mom and grandma were engagement rings. It didn't work. They just asked if any of her american friends were single. We assured them that we all, unfortuantely, had serious boyfriends back in the states. I don't think they bought it, because they kept asking.

The next night Kaylin's family, who are here for a visit, witnessed an interesting scene at la comedie downtown. Appartently some guy was being restrained by 3 men and he broke loose, busted out a gun, shot the ground and ran. Then he shot again, idk where. Luckily someone caught up to him, hit him over the head with a wine bottle, and subdued him. There was an off duty gendarm who helped catch him. The wierdest thing is, no one in France is allowed to own/carry guns. So...not sure how that happened. That's the most excitement this city has seen outside of the strike.

Last night Kaylin and Kate's parents took us to this cute restaurant called Aux Deux Fondue. You can order a cheese fondue and dip in bread or potatoes, or you can get what I got which is the pieces of raw beef that you dip in this smoldering oil that cooks it. Then you get 3 really good sauces to dip it in. The meat was sooo good. Daddy, you would have loved it. You can cook it to whatever level you prefer, but I got impatient (because you have to cook each bite...) so mine were a little on the rare juicy side. I think that might have freaked out Katie (a vegetarian) who was sitting next to me. But as Kate said, we like our beef practically mooing. haha. They also served us wine in baby bottles (a bigger hole was cut so you could actually drink it), and that was pretty funny. The parents thought it was hilarious. The wine was supposedly good, but again it all tastes bad to me. And apparently wine makes me sleepy, because I only had only the one bottle and I was about to fall asleep right there at the table. So unlike the others, I declined a refill, or I really would have fallen asleep. Afterwards some people ordered chocolate fondu where they dipped fruit and bread into it. That was delicious. So all around, a tastey night.

This weekend, Im not doing much. We might be celebrating Ali's birthday saturday. But otherwise, its a low key money saving weekend for me. I'm trying to figure out how to see Dana next weekend, but sadly its not working! I hope I can find something.

No comments: