You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Here comes the sun!

Friday night Jacques Chirac gave a State of the Union type speech to the nation which the roomies and I watched anxiously. He announced officially that he’s signing the CPE law, despite the protests. He was very well spoken; even I understood everything he said. Pretty much the law is reformed (one year period and not two that you can be fired without cause), but they still need it to reduce unemployment. I agree with him and think he made the right decision. If he didn’t, then Villipan, the Prime Minister, threatened to resign. They interviewed the head of the student group afterwards, and they are not happy. They said Chirac didn’t listen to them at all and mobilization is still in effect until the law is repealed permanently…so no school still… (Pray it lasts till exams!)

The weather has finally started to get nice! On Saturday I went to the beach, and let’s just say I got burned, but only on my face…It was cold that day so I was all bundled up, and because it was so cloudy I didn’t think I’d get any sun. But I did, even my landlady noticed and warned me that it’s those cloudy days that will burn you! She’s so cute. That night Christina slept over and we watched How to Lose a Guy in 10 days, which was funnier than I remembered. We got up early and went to church where a new dude was speaking. He was pretty good, better than the other lady. I’m pumped because next week there’s a big get together for all the churches and choirs in the big church by the train station. Christina, Bhav and I are definitely going to check that out. Afterwards, Christina and I once again trekked out to the beach, this time with better weather. We got to lay out and tan in our suits (no more sweatshirts!) and we even went in the water for a swim. Well we sort of swam. I only went in because Christina told me I wasn’t a true Wisconsinite if I was “too cold” to swim…so what could I do? The water was so cold, my legs went completely numb. It was brisk. But we got to relax, read, listen to music, and soak up the sun. It was awesome.

Monday I did more scholarly work in one day than I’ve done all semester. For some reason it seemed plausible to start and finish my 10 page French paper about Flemmish art in one night (ambitious I know). I am rushed because I have to finish it before Momma and Nana come (next week, I’m sooo pumped). So I put on some country music and started to write (I did all the research the night before). It wasn’t bad. I was cruisin. French doesn’t usually flow that fast, esp about art, but I just wrote away and 8 pages later I had everything but the intro and conclusion done by 11pm. That’s 7 hours straight. One of my study breaks consisted of fries, ranch (from Kate!) and a cherry coke. That plus actually doing something academic just felt like home. It also felt good to finally do something intellectual, because with this strike I feel like I’m loosing intelligence by having a semester break (MN classes excluded because they're super easy).

Today Bhavana and I tried to go to Aix-en-Provence…however it again is National Strike Day…so we couldn’t get a train there. Instead, we went to Marseilles, a port city 2 hours east of Montpellier. We got there and had to walk through some trashy parts before we found the Old Port area (by trashy I mean a bunch of people having a “yard sale” type thing all along the sidewalk of old junk like skates, used shoes, computer moniters…). The water there is soo blue, and we of course watched yet another parade of strikers (same in every city). We hiked up to their Notre Dame Basilica which had an amazing view of the whole city. From up top, I could see what to me looked like Chateau d’If. For those that have seen the movie or read the book, the Count of Monte Cristo, Edmund is from Marseilles and was sent to Chateau d’If prison. I saw what was a little island with a small fortress that looked just like the one in the movie. Then I saw a map on the hill of all the sites you can see from ontop, and I was right, that’s what it was! I guess I never thought that’d it was a real prison that you could go see and that the movie would have used it. That was pretty cool. I have pics, but it only looks like a little spot, and definitely doesn’t do it justice.

When I got back I finished my paper, so now I only have to do history before everyone comes next week. Time is going by so fast, and I’m afraid I’ll have to go home soon (I want to see you all but I’m going to miss it here). Next week Momma and Nana come and we go to Paris/Nice. Then that weekend I might go to Spain to see Dana, then the week after I’ll be in Africa for spring break, then exams, then traveling with Dana, then home! It’s all coming up so fast, and I have so much I still want to do here….

No comments: