You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

More stories...

I want to start this one off by commenting about the Lyon protest that I saw. My sister brought to my attention that I didn't necessarily separate the difference between standing up for your beliefs and violently avenging them. I respected the particular protest that I witnessed because it wasn't used to seek revenge or get angry. It was more a display of thier faith, and their hurt over what happened. I was moved to see people who didn't deny their faith, like Peter (and me and almost everyone), when persecuted. Instead they stood strong, like we ourselves are commanded to do. I don't however, condone the violence that is spreading because of these attacks on Muslims. Christians are called to turn the other cheek, but also to be warriors. It isn't an easy task. When do you battle and when do you abstain? Even Solomon didn't know (check out Ecc.). We aren't a part of this world, and it's not our duty to defend Christ on our own because it's not our own power but His that conquers evil. So sorry if I made it sound like Christians should fight in a non Christ-like way for our beliefs. We wouldnt believe what we do if we acted contrary to it. So thanks Mindy. I hope this makes clear what I meant...

And now for the land of waffles and fries...aka, Belgium. As you can imagine a land of waffles and fries is pretty much my heaven! They aren't kidding when they say Belgium has the best waffles in the world. The best is when they are covered in melted belgian chocolate...oh man. It's utter goodness. The fries are also some of the best, no lie. I would know. There was no ranch, malheureusement, but they had a whole bunch of cool "sauzens" to try. We started our Beligian adventures in Brugge. In Brugge the people are Flemmish. In other words, they don't in fact speak french, but Flemmish (kinda close to German, to me anyways). It is impossible to understand. If you try to speak french to them, they get upset. They'd rather use english. The city itself was so beautiful. It wasn't touched by the horrors of the world wars, so all of the old buildings are still intact. This is the view from atop the Belfry. We took a boat tour and met a really cute little french boy named Christian. We started talking to him and he said, "mais vous parlez anglais!" (but you speak english!). He loved the cameras that we all had, and he even took some pics with them himself. That day we also visited the Basilica of the Holy Blood. We saw what was reputedly the blood of Jesus. We had the oppurtunity to go up and lay hands on it and pray. Everyone went up, although those who didn't believe felt uneasy about it, but it was up to each person whether or not they wanted to go up. When I prayed, I asked that whether or not this is actually Christ's blood (which I highly doubt it is, and even if it is, physical objects shouldn't be worshiped like idols themselves...) that the power of Christ's blood would reign in that church, city, country, and world. Because it's the power of His blood that brings true redemption, not a vile which may or may not have been His.

The next city on our stop was Brussels (where they speak french!). We went to the Museam of Beaux Arts and wondered the historic area of the city. What was suprising to me was what this city is famous for. It's a small (maybe a foot or 2 high) statue of a little boy peeing. Its called Mannekin Pis or something. When we saw it we weren't all that impressed, but I guess to each his own. If thats what they think is the coolest, good for them. Personnally I think they should stick to advertising the waffles!

We made it home without any problems, praise God. And it was seriously the most wonderful, though cold, vacation. Now I'm back, and my school is still on strike! It could go through April. Luckily, Minnesota said that they'd have us write papers or something so we can still get credits and not fall behind back at our real schools. So strike away french, but it won't do much. I asked Elodie why they are allowed to do it, and even she didn't think they were allowed. I told her that in the States you can't just lock down your university and barracade it. The police will come and arrest and fine people. We just don't put up with that. But I guess it's different in France...Oh and don't think I just don't have school. I still have my 3 minnesota classes. But still, this is all very wierd.

No comments: