You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Church/strike/bored...

This week was less interesting than the last week. No parties, no gun shots. On Sunday I finally found the Reformed Church of France. It was on a little side street outside of the city center. The service was interesting, much more like what I'm used to than the catholic masses, but still different. It was in a little simple building with not much decoration. The preacher was a woman, much to my surprise, who wore a long black robe and white ruffle tie thingy. The serivce was sort of like Geneva back at Madison because you follow a liturgy, but instead of modern songs we sang from a french hymnal. They sang tons of songs, and I loved it. Even though they were a little old for my taste, it was still cool to praise God in a different tongue! They also had visitors from a french org called ARCH which is for adults with mental handicaps. Some of the people from their "spiritual house" led us in prayer (the Lord's prayer but in french) and a song. It's awesome to see people who most wouldn't think capable of having an active spiritual life praising God. I was able to follow the sermon, but it's not the spritual food I'm used to getting at Blackhawk. After the sermon we took communion in a big circle (also like Geneva). One thing of note about french communion, apparently grapejuice is an American phenomenon because I was definitly caught off guard when it was real wine that I drank. But it was only funny in my head because I didn't expect it in the least, although I probably should have. Unfortunately that church doesn't meet this Sunday, they are all heading somewhere outside of town, so I'm not sure where to go. Maybe I'll hike out to St. Pierre's cathedral.

The strike is still going!!! The worst part is, MN wants us to do 15 page papers per class that we miss in addition to the work we have when the strike stops. Thats a lot to write in french to take the place of 2 weeks off. Because they didn't tell us ahead of time, we couldn't use those to 2 weeks to write them! But we're negotiating ourselves with our office to see if those papers can take the place of our exams should the strike end (if it does it will be two weeks before exams and we'll have a lot to catch up on for the final, not sure how that would work). So the strike is really starting to bother everyone. We just want to go back to class. Although we've been told that we're really lucky to be here at such an important time in french social/economic strife. I disagree. Our professor said that before she lived in other countries, she thought it was normal to strike everytime you disagreed. Then she moved and realized that in some countries they communicate/negotiatie/discuss the issues. But here, if they don't like it...they block everything till its repelled. Its a super conservative country in that respect. Change is feared. The thing is, France really needs this law to solve their unemployment epidemic. But the french are afraid that they could be fired (the bill makes it easier for employers to fire new workers if they aren't up to par, but as of now once you're hired youre in for good so employers never want to hire more ppl). Maybe they should actually work at their jobs to prevent being fired. I dont know. All I know is that stopping your education is taking away the only thing that will help you in this world, so poor move militant hippies. The wierdest part, is that the business school just joined in! That's how you know its serious. They never strike, because they're practically guarenteed jobs after they graduate. So I'm not sure why the business kids, future employers, would go on strike. That just means it will be till at least April 1st before classes start, if at all. In the mean time...I just wait around and take my 3 MN classes.

This weekend everyone's going to Dublin for St Patty's day except me (too expensive/i dont have fridays off even with the strike). So Friday night would be a wonderful night for phone calls! I think Molly and I might take a field trip to Sete, a small fishing village, on saturday. I might chill with Elodie too that night. But for the most part this will be a low key weekend...On the plus side, I'm almost done with Orgueil et Prejuges (pride and prejudice my 4th time) so I'll have time to finish it! (I'm a huge dork I know, don't make fun)

No comments: