You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Strikes and nonsense

Well, it looks as though the SNCF strikes will carry well into next week. As for my trip to Paris to take the GRE, well it's been modified. I will no longer leave Tuesday night and return Thursday morning (which, fyi, meant I didn't miss a single class because I have some sweet planning skills). Instead, Marie-Francoise's boyfriend/husband (not sure?) will be driving me to Paris tomorrow afternoon because he commutes there for work. That means I'll miss all of Monday and Tuesday classes, and if the strike goes all week, I'll miss my Thursday classes too. Oh well. Thankfully I have a ride, so all is well, and the teachers have been really nice about it. Once I explained my situation, they all said it was fine if I missed those days. They all know what it's like to be inconvenienced by transport strikes, so they were really understanding. The upside: I get to spend an extra full day in Paris to explore. Well, actually I should be 'studying' but I don't know if I'll be able to. It's Paris. I will have to look for a coat while I'm there because temperatures are frigid and my light jacket is not cutting it (the rain is killer). On my way home from Church this morning I thought I was going to die of frost bite or get washed away in the impending flood. Seriously, these folks should invest in a town ark, just to be safe.

In other news, I have more random stories than I have time to write about, or that you probably even care to read. In sum, I've visited the Scriptorial and seen the old manuscripts and Chaval's cartoons, I've started teaching capital punishment to a bunch of quakers who think philosophy is too hard in any language, I've spread the love of prom and American football season to some eager frenchies who want to study abroad in the US now, I've seen the Remembrance Day celebrations in the city center, I've applied for my Carte de Sejour (long stay visa) so I can legally stay here, I've found God-fellowship with Irene, I've gotten my computer back but had to pay too much for it, I've paid tribute to General Patton for all of his hard work, I've had another laundry fiasco, and I've been hit on by a bunch of greasy haired 19yr olds at the local tavern. That was certainly a run-on if I've ever written one. Well, when I get back I'll try to elaborate on a few of these.

Overall, I'm no longer on a permanent high just from being in France. I'm starting to have my share of bad/down days. Notably, this weekend I've been quite down if only because this whole GRE/Paris/strike nonsense has been super stressful (well, sort of, not really though because God's been sorting it out all along, as usual). I miss everyone. Phone calls and emails are welcome! (Even when I'm in Paris!)

No comments: