You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

On and on and on

So the strike drags on, with this Friday marking a full week of no school. My students are crazy. I talked to the principal this week, who is super nice, and he said that technically he has the power to shut down the strike whenever he wants. He allows it for several reasons: 1. striking is ingrained in French culture and for lyceens it has become a rite of passage (almost like prom or something, I kid you not), 2. last time a principal shut down a strike it got ugly, and 3. it is teaching the kids to be politically involved, even if it's not very democratic (the law was voted in by a majority). So the strike goes on, and every few days they vote to continue it. Most people have doubts that it will carry into next week, but I wouldn't put it past them. They are, after all, French. I say that lovingly of course. I've come to expect and somewhat marvel at this French penchant for collective action. It is, after all, quite different from the extreme indifference of the the majority of American citizens (esp high school students). Show me an American who can tell me just one recent law that's been passed, and I'll show you a whole nation that keeps tabs religiously (almost like they get updates on their Facebook home pages or something). I don't know if I gave the reason for the strike yet, but it has to do with privatization of some universities so the the universities won't be so, well, sucky (they are way underfunded and overcroweded). That will lead to people not getting in, and that's just not okay with these folks. Welcome to America my friends, the home of wonderful universities that will cost you dearly, and may reject you anyways, but they're dang good if you can get in and pay your way through. Maybe I don't have sympathy because they don't realize just how these things work across the pond. Regardless, plenty of school furniture has now been wrecked, and I've had plenty of time to work on applications and (gasp) watch the Hills and American Dreams. I am getting stupider every day. This needs to stop.

On a low note, a few days ago there was a reality-tv-worthy blowup among several assistants. It's been a longtime in coming, so I was only surprised it took as long as it did to come out. I'll tell you this much, it had nothing to do with me or my flatmate (love her), but we got stuck in the middle anyway. I felt like a couple's therapist when it went down (in French), and I had to console both sides. Unlike a therapist, I'm not neutral (though I won't say that to the parties involved), and I understand why the one person was so upset. I will leave it at that, but just tell you that I had to witness the showdown, and it was the most painfully awkward turtle moment of my life. None of this would have happened if emotional/social intelligence was taught at school. So there you have it. Stressful!

On a high note, I don't work (for one)! And I will soon be receiving quite a few visitors for Christmas! The family is here in a little over 3 weeks, and then Dana. I love y'all. Oh and I'm almost done appyling to schools. Almost...

2 comments:

Mrs. Chambers said...

We can't wait to see you too!

Mom

Anonymous said...

We are coming!!! Oh the Chambers family in france. HA. Can't wait!

Mali...