You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Back to Paris, highs and lows


So this week I returned to Paris to take the GRE. Of course the strike was still going strong, so I was unable to take the train. Eric, Marie-Francoise's hubby, drove me on Monday afternoon. It was a typically gloomy day in Normandy, and the rain was pouring down. It was actually rather frightening because the rain was pouring and Eric's car didn't defog so we were constantly wiping the windows and praying for the best. It literally took 7 hours to get to Paris because the traffic close to Paris was bumper to bumper. (view from Eric's car while stuck in traffic-- not bad, I'd say)

Tuesday: I explored because I had nothing better to do. It was cold and raining, unfortunately, and I thought I was going to freeze to death (having no winter coat at that point). I managed to take the metro (after quite a long wait because only 1 in 10 cars was running) up to Montmartre and saw Sacre Coeur and the likes. I popped into the Salvador Dali exhibit (think: melting clock and surrealism) while I was there. I hate to admit that my main reason for checking it out was that I really had to go to the bathroom and didn't want to patronize a restaurant just to use the toilette. So instead I paid to go see some Dali and Dali inspired art and used their restroom. It was cool, but creepy, because Dali must have been on crack (not meant as insult, but rather an admission of my inability to grasp the far reaching boundaries of his imagination). After that I literally walked for the next 6 or 7 hours, for lack of a better idea. I tried to explore areas I haven't yet seen, which led me to the famous cemetery Pere Lach(something). Jim Morrison, Moliere, Balzac and some other folks are buried there. Believe it or not, I walked all the way there and didn't manage to find a single famous grave. Yeah, I know. It was SO big, and I had no idea. It took me hours and hours to walk there, that I had no energy (or internal warmth) left to explore it properly. So I left and found the nearest metro to go back to the hostel. (below is a picture of a demonstration in the street for the transport strike)

Wednesday: I got up super early to get to my exam site (which is just outside the center city in the business district). I planned on a few hours because the metro was unpredictable. I waited for the first line for about an hour before a train came by. The next line was worse. Trains would pass and be filled to capacity and no one could get on. Finally people got annoyed and starting pushing onto the trains anyway. I got on the 4th one that came by only because the guy standing behind me pushed me and the people in front of me onto the train. Sardines doesn't even describe. It was hot, and you couldn't breath or move. People were yelling at each other. Someone could have easily been trampled. Frightening. I have never before felt claustrophobic, but I did that morning. It was a 45min trip, and I hated every second of it. Luckily, I made it, with plentiy of time to spare. I took the dang test and did fine, so all the worry and stress of the days leading up to it left. When I entered the building it was raining, when I left the sun was shining brightly and there wasn't a cloud in sight. Pathetic fallacy? God's simple blessing (which was most likely intended for many people that day, Paris needed it)... Anyway, I was pumped it was over and I spent the rest of the day enjoying the city (unlike my disappointing tour the day before). I walked from the Louvre to the Centre Pompedu (below) to the Latin Quarter and Notre Dame and back around again. I bought a crepe with nutella. All was good in the world. I was as content as could be. There was no better way to follow the test. I mean, it's Paris. (to the left is the Seine at night!)

Thursday: I woke up bright and early (5am!) to make my 7am train. The internet wasn't helpful in determining whether my train would actually be running so I had to book it down to the train station. I got there and the man at the window politefully informed me that my train wasn't running, and no other trains would be going to my city or its surroundings either. Lovely. Stupid strike, really annoying. So I called Eric and asked for a ride back (seriously, nicest teachers/people ever). I missed my Thursday classes, but what can you do? While I waited for my ride and I went shopping and found a winter coat (!!) and warm red scarf. I don't usually get that much pleasure from shopping, but I really needed a coat. It has a hood too, which is awesome because it rains all the time. Oh and it has toggles. Beat that. (Qualifier: it made me happy to actually find one for two reasons. The first is that all coast here are expensive and I'm poor. The second was that new French styles are quite bizarre and make everyone look like a bubble or 15th century aristocrat. I found a normal peacoat that was fairly heavy. That was an accomplishment).

Thursday night had its own adventures. It was Thanksgiving, so the other American assistant Kate made us all a mini thanksgiving feast (yeah she's awesome, there was stuffing). It was the first ever thanksgiving for my UK comrades and for the Chilian. We tried to explain why its such a big deal, but I think it's one of those things that you just have to grow up with to really appreciate. We followed it up with a trip to a random English bar in town. The barmaid was super cool, and English, and we chatted with her a bit. Then we got accosted by some dodgey french guys who didn't leave us alone. And the next night, another set of dodgey french guys did the same (pattern anyone?). Let's just say that the first thing one of the guys said to me last night was that his cousin flew an airplane into the twin towers. I yelled at him (in french, holler) for being rude and acting like a child, and that was the end of that. Let's just say he didn't say that again.

Friday: woke up bright and early. When I went to class, much to my delight, the entrance was barricaded. My students have gone on strike. Apparently these lyceens don't like Sarco's plan to privatize some universities. So what do they do? Strike of course. I'm getting really sick of this. At least I didn't have class all day. Oh wait, that means I didn't have class all week. Maybe I am becoming French.... (my students barricading the lycee in the early hours of the morning)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lindsey! So funny, my parents live just near Pere Lachaise cemetery, so you were just near my home!! Anyway, I see everything is going pretty well even with the strikes... Your pictures of Paris are awesome!
Biouxxx