You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Spoke too soon

I really should have waited until today to write my entry. I knew better. All that stuff I was stressing out about here, God once again took care of right on schedual. I went to my history disc with Elodie and she went up with me to talk to the prof. I have no idea what she said b/c she was talking so fast. But whatever it was, he seemed to not really care. Afterwards she explained to me that she told him I was an american student and the work load was too difficult to keep up with (all my research is university level library books...kinda tough) so she suggested we prepare together and have one set of notes each week for each topic (b/c here you have to research and take notes before you go to class...). He said that was fine. She also told him that I wouldn't be able to do the pop oral dissertations like everyone else because I don't know the language well enough. He said it was fine if I didn't do it. He could really didnt seem to care about anything. Don't think I'm just trying to slack here, this class would literally be impossible if Elodie hadn't stepped in to help me. I don't know this system or language well enough to be held to the same standards as the french students here, but even though I get a break I still have a ton of work to do each week. Only now its not impossible and I have a friend to study with who helps me more than you know. After class she even hung out with me while I waited for my next class, giving me lots of pratice speaking french which I loved. She even looked over my notes for the oral presentatoin I was doing for my civ class and she corrected the grammer for me. It was easy for her of course, and she thought my mistakes were cute because they're mistakes her 10 yr old sister would make. I was like wonderfull...but I laughed too. It's true, if you don't grow up with it, the things that come naturally to them are still a struggle for me. I was joking and told her she should come to class with me b/c she would be the best student compared to all the americans. She was so cute and said if I wanted her to she would. I was like no don't worry, I wouldn't make you suffer too. Right now she's coming over for dinner next week to see my apart and meet the roomies. I think she and I are really going to be good friends here, which is so cool. Then I went to my class and had to give my presentation, a good chunk of my grade. It went fine, though. We showed a slideshow of pics and I think that did it. Teachers always love visual aids. When we finished she said it was exactly what she wanted us to do (even though we were bums and read right out of our notebooks). Which we were very relieved to hear because for one she never told us what she wanted and for second we treked out there in the miserable weather and had a wretched day. So thats over with which is awesome.

And here's the best part of the day. I was planning on seeing Dana in Barcelona this weekend and was really bummed earlier this week to hear she couldn't make it there. I really need to see a familar face and talk to someone who really understands me. Then last night I talked to her and she's coming! Now even though she's in Spain, she has to take an 8-10 hour bus ride to get there, and then another on the way back. So for a weekend visit thats not really worth it. But she left last night (skipping some classes too) and will be there until Sunday morning. So I'll get to spend Friday night through Sunday with one of the coolest people I know. Its exactly what I need right now, and she's coming despite the fact that its not worth the trouble for her to come. That's why she's so awesome (Dana I love you!). I just really need this weekend to unwind and get my mind off somethings for awhile.

God has been doing huge things for me here, but I still find my self stressed and worried when I shouldn't be, esp about people back home. It's hard to not be there and feel like you have no idea what's going on. You can feel really disconnected, esp when you don't hear from people (ik not everyone, thank you to those who I do hear from, it means a lot to me!). But I need to learn to not worry about that because I let it interfere with my experience here which isn't good. So it's time to take a step back and let it all go. God will take care of everyone back home, not me, so its time I let Him. It's funny though, I thought my challenge would be here, but it's not, it's home. This place is not a struggle for me, God takes care of it and I let Him. It's the things I can't control that bother me, like being so far from everyone. But like the things here, it's time I just give them to God.

No comments: