You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Paris!

Paris is the most French city in the world, of that I have no doubt. It may be infested with tourists, but the city has remarkably retained its Frenchness without faltering. Irene and I spent Monday in Paris for a medical examination to make sure we can stay in France (don’t ask), and so we had the pleasure of spending a few hours in this amazing place. This time I felt like I encountered Paris on its own terms for the first time. My Chilean amiga and I spent the whole day conversing in French (our only common language), though it was a poor French at that. Somehow that felt right, the way we ought to be talking in Paris. There’s something incongruous about speaking English there. It sets you apart, in a bad way. It keeps you from truly experiencing Paris. There’s something about the ethos of this city that demands proper respect be paid to the language that created it. When you walk through the courtyard of the Louvre and through the Tuleries, stop for drink at a café, or examine the inner beauty of the Notre Dame cathedral, you feel something entirely different when you speak French. You feel like you’re a part of the city.

Today was also the day of blessings. I can thankfully report that the doctor found me in good health, and I have the x-ray with me to prove it. I also had the privilege of witnessing Irene’s first visit to the city she’s dreamed about since she was a little girl, but never thought she’d ever see. Words cannot describe the sight of her coming up from the metro and seeing the courtyard of the Louvre for the first time. Tears flowed from her eyes, and I knew this was a moment neither of us would forget. God was hard at work today.


I almost feel like I’ve stolen other people’s blessings. There must be some mistake. Surly I’ve enjoyed too much. I feel an overwhelming obligation to give some of them back, to pass my blessings along to other people who really need them. Maybe that’s what God intended the whole time. In fact, I’m sure that’s what he intended. Well today was the beginning. Irene could stop thanking me for showing her around the city (as though it was a burden for me!). I guess that’s the beauty. When you share a blessing, it grows even bigger then it was before. God is good. Good day.

(only downer: I accidentally paid 7euros for a coke!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

7 euros. the price for a vice - dana