You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Debate

I have just learned that my Monday B week classes will be in the form of organized debates. I get to pick topics, teach them how to construct/respond to arguments, and facilitate discussion. I’m super excited. These are the kids who are pretty good at English, so they’re trying to do higher level stuff instead of basic grammar. I told the teacher that this setup was wonderful because, as you all know, I love this sort of thing. I don’t get to start with these guys until the end of October, though, because it’s only every other week and they leave for a week to go to England. The question remains: what on earth will I be doing in my other classes??

The kids are starting to warm up. I saw some of the boys I've seen already outside of school today and they shouted "ALLO!" I stopped and talked to them in english for a bit, and they didn't follow it all, which I think embarrassed them in front of their friends. Yes. My job is working...

1 comment:

Me-Ami said...

Fun. I don't think any of my students can take on philosophical or political debate in English, but I may try to throw in a "What to do think about this controversial topic?" question somewhere. Good luck with classes.