You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Church

Well I went to Church this morning, and it was better than I expected. I navigated the cobblestone roads as prescribed by the tourism office. In fact, it was God who took me to the church because NONE of the roads were labeled. Fortunately, I was able to make out that it was somewhat near St. Gervais, which is fairly easy to spot from just about anywhere in the city. I just kept walking, and picked streets to follow at random. And then, when I knew I was close, I spotted on my left what appeared to be a store-front office. The sign said something to the degree of “Centre evangelique des protestants” or whatever. I didn’t think that was it, but then I saw a bunch of chairs lined up and a crowd of people inside. Tentatively, I stepped in side. Smiles swept across several faces, and I was warmly greeted by the small congregation. There were maybe 15 people in the small room, tops. The pastor came up and greeted me personally, as did many of the other churchgoers, so friendly! They were pleased to see a new face, I think. But still, I was a little malalaise as the newbie in small group of people.

Just when I thought I should just get up and get out (feeling so awkward and out of place), the little girl in the row back started chatting to me. She said something about knowing a little English (she was maybe 5 years old). She said, “I love you!” and her mom whispered in her ear the rest of the phrase “because you love Christ” though the little girl was too busy giggling to manage the rest. How can I explain the emotions that swept through my heart at that moment? I can’t. It was wonderful. I am loved. Had I forgotten? Perhaps, but she certainly hadn’t. During the worship songs (which were mainly translations of worship songs popular in the 70s- early 90s, some of which I were familiar with, I felt teary eyed. But like the good stoic I am, I held back. These people reminded me that God is in France too, lest I forget. I am forgetting an awful lot these days. Well, anyhow, it was a successful Sunday, and I hope to grow more à l’aise with the congregation in the next few weeks.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

God is AMAZING, He is the only reason I know that at the end of the day it is all going to be alright because he has a plan :) Jeremiah 29:11 :)