You said, "Lift up your eyes; the harvest is here, the kingdom is near." You said, "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." O Lord, that's the cry of my heart. Distant shores and the islands will see your light, as it rises on us. O Lord, I ask for the nations.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Update on strike

I don´t remember if I officially updated y´all on the strike situation. As of now, its done. Chirac was a wuss and just pulled the law to appease the students, even if in the long run they needed the law desperately. Now people will continue to not have jobs, but they can sleep rest assured that those jobs that they don´t have they can´t be fired from...So with the CPE dead it was time for the students to make a decision. For the first time in two months the general assembly, located in the now gross amp A, voted to start school. At the same time, the prez of the university finally shows up and takes some action. He had the university cleaned, students evacuated, and made a plan to resume business. There was a mini insurgence that fought him about it, shouting things like you´re gonna be fired, and you´re a facist, but thats not unusal here these days. So last week we had class, and after my two week break we have exams. Since we only had like 4 weeks of class, our exams will only cover that much. And now, MN decided that since we will all probably fail our exams, that we can´t get lower than our paper grade. So when we turn in our papers, if we did okay, we don´t have to study for the exam cause it can´t lower our grade (answerd prayer!).

So here´s a little tidbit about my alma matter here. They are crazy. I thought it was just a dirty hippy thing, but its worse. We were the first to go on strike in france, and the last to end it, and while we strike we drink and juggle and smoke pot and become winos in the middle of the comedie, but that´s not all. Apparently we make homeless people do the dirty work of our strike. Here´s what I found out. When class started back you had to present an ID card to get into campus (which of course I didn´t have with me so I pulled a whole stupid american act that works everytime). Now I didn´t know why this was, but Ali found out from her professor. During the strike the students had the campus occupied for 2 months, day and night. They had to have someone there 24-7. But did they want to all sleep there themselves? No, so instead they get their homeless gipsie friends off the street (with whom they bare a striking resemblance) to come in and sleep at the school. Since they would be on the street anways, it was a win win situation, cause at least now they´d be inside. Now you may sense that I´m being unfair in my ripping on of my fellow students, but when I found this out I was really upset. If you feel so strongly about your protest, then you have no right to be all talk during the day and take advantage of homeless people by night so you can go off and do what you please. That´s not cool. So right now me and Paul Valery are not on good terms...

No comments: